Life of a fellow brother

|
I feel great when Ramadan comes. I feel great when I know that whilst everyone else is busy in their daily activities, I am sacrificing my desires for the sake of God. I feel great when I see one of my friends, who bases his life on sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll; take a 'chill pill'. I feel great when he goes through the whole day without a cigarette. I feel great when I see my other friend, who chooses to base his vocabulary on every four letter word in the colloquial dictionary; stop and look back at his mistakes, and at the end of the month become a changed person. It's a great feeling.

Going back to the question "Why do I fast?" or "What keeps me going?" the answer is very simple. I ask you now, how many times do you turn on the TV or flick through the newspaper, and find yourself drenched with the fact that a large proportion of the earth's population lives in famine. How many cases do you hear about people who die from hunger in Sudan, or Ethiopia, or ….the list goes on. These people wake up every morning to the notion that they may not live to see the night. These people fast because they have no choice, they simple have no food to eat, or no water to drink. When I fast, I do it out of my own choice, no one puts a gun to my head. What keeps me going are the faces of those innocent youngsters in the countries such as Sudan who fast the whole of the Gregorian.

"You need to sacrifice to achieve great things"

By Mohammed Zaoud.
Sixteen years of age and heading into his final year at Homebush Boys High School in Western Sydney.

0 comments: